Can AI make Healthcare more efficient?
With the emergence of AI, there is much promise for its application in the healthcare industry. There is evidence of AI tools in medical applications that can improve efficiency of treatments and reduce costs by minimizing the risks of false diagnosis.
Although it’s yet to be seen how quickly the industry at large will adopt AI, we thought we’d share some interesting use cases and examples.
Health virtual assistant
Healthcare apps can be used to deliver medication alerts, patient education material and human-like interactions to gauge a patient's current mental state. The application of AI in the form of a personal assistant can impact monitoring and assisting patients with some of their needs when clinical personnel are not available. Some of the prominent VHA apps with a growing user base are as follow:
- MedWhat is an intelligent personal medical andhealth assistant that can automatically provide a contextual answer to questions posed in natural language.
- Alme Health Coach is a product of Next IT. Their patient engagement platform connects, coaches, educates and assists patients in their daily lives.
Advanced analytics and research capability
AI has been used in many advanced use cases in oncology to help detect abnormalities in X-rays and MRIs. The AI of IBM Watson, has successfully applied its capabilities to process structured and unstructured patient data and it can provide evidence-based treatment recommendationps pfor cancer patients.
A bot is an AI application where patients can interact through a chat window on a website or via telephone to receive help with their requests. Bots can be used in situations such as scheduling follow-up appointments with a patient's provider online. These use cases improve customer service dramatically.Some successful examples of early healthcare chatbot usage are as follow:
- HealthTap’s physician-provided answers have been made available on a Facebook Messenger chat bot.
- Boston Children’s Hospital: Amazon’s Alexa in-home device is being used by Boston Children’s Hospital to provide advice to parents.
Decrease medical costs
Being able to submit data online, patients don’t have to go to hospitals so often. Medical records and effective diagnosis making will reduce the medical costs on office visits and the number of human errors connected with record keeping
- Clearview Diagnostics is dedicated to advancing healthcare through innovative AI technology. The company’s machine learning technology is designed to assist healthcare professionals in disease diagnosis in order to improve patient outcome and reduce overall healthcare costs. The CEO of Clearview Diagnostics stated that “Clearview Diagnostics’ new AI medical imaging assistant will help millions of patients worldwide while saving costs throughout the healthcare ecosystem.”
Enhanced invasive surgery
Surgical robotics is a tool that provides doctors with precision and superior visualization. With such robots, surgeons get the assistance that shortens patients’ hospital stay, reduces pain and medical costs. Some prominent examples in this field are:
- The da Vinci Surgical Systemoperates through just a few small incisions. The da Vinci System features a magnified 3D high-definition vision system and tiny wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human hand.
- Johnson & Johnson recently inked a deal with Verb Surgical to create a surgical robotics platform that combines J&J's device-making capabilities with Google's machine learning, imaging analysis, and data analytics expertise
It is interesting to see the future of wearable technology and how it is developing as a basic necessity for day to day activities and businesses, however with the technology world changing rapidly the complete wonders of tech gadgets are yet to be seen..
One larger provider was tackling analytics on a large scale – investing a high-performance data warehouse solution and getting a head start organizing data by leveraging a 3rd-party healthcare data model
SSI take on HealthTech Rising Summit 2015 held in Chicago, USA.
The IoT concept has firmed its footprints in all industries by multiple technology advancements and healthcare is no different..